Wednesday, October 22, 2008

YAY!!

Whoo-Hoo!! I am so excited!! I have decided to start tutoring kids as my second job! I really miss getting to work with students! Awhile back some friends of mine invited me to come eat at this little Mexican restraunt here in town. While we were there I recognized a little deaf girl who was sitting alone. Her mom was working at the restraunt and I could tell this little girl was there for the evening till her mom got off work. I couldn't help but noticed her book bag. I started signing to her and she responded.....by the end I was looking over her homework. It was so fun!! I started to ask about tutoring her....but then decided to wait since I have been so up in the air about my life. I have thought about this little girl several times and wished I had said something. Well....last night I went back....this time I was alone. I had decided that if she was there....and wanted help then I would ask her mom about tutoring her once a week.
After being seated...I saw her sitting alone at a big table. I of course started to sign to her and ask her a few questions. I then asked if she wanted to sit with me. She's so little and cute..and her face just lit up!! She came over and ate dinner with me and we began signing and having conversation. We finished her assigned reading...which was fun and easy. The coneversation part was a challenge for me.....I am incredibly rusty with reading the signs....so I kept having to sign--again..and slow please! Ha..this was so frustrating...but in a good way. I am determined to get back the skills I have lost. I can't stand trying to communicate something and literally not having the word or "sign" to say it. So I must say when she pulled out her big Halloween library book...I got really nervous!! We actually made it through the story....I did have to bring the vocab. down a few levels...I hate doing that...it's exactly not what any child needs...especially a deaf child. More than any child...they need to learn and continuously be exposed to new vocabulary.
I am very much in awe of deaf people. They are so amazing. I can't imagine never hearing sounds...or missing a chunk of them. Then there's the struggle with speech due to the lack of never hearing sound. This little girl is becoming tri-lingual at 9 yrs old...she is learning Spanish...English and Sign. Wow! I just know she is going to be a blessing to my heart! It will be fun to see what God does in both our lives!
This brings me to my second job! I have been looking for something....even recently was talking to a tutoring agency....but last night...I realized I don't need to go through an agency. I just need to start my own business!! I can make so much more doing this than any of my other ideas! I am praying once again that God will put specific student's in my path that I can help and motivate them to do their best. I'm a little scared to start a business....but it doesn't sound too hard......I guess I'll find that out soon enough! =)

No comments: