Thursday, November 6, 2008

MANY THOUGHTS....

I have so many thoughts and feelings I am trying to process over this election. It seems each day passing has revealed something new. I feel like something so huge...beyond my true understanding has happened. I feel as if many many many people are deceived. At the same time....I also feel so proud that our country has come to a place of reconcilliation that we have elected an African American as President. For many years I have had the opportunity to teach to my students about the life of MLK...and it was such a blessing to me as a teacher...to really impart to my students the importance of what took place and how we need to never repeat this part of history again. So....I must say that my uneasiness is not over race. My concern is over this man's background...over his views of morality...over his view of our country's defense...over how he will treat beloved Israel. It is interesting how this all played out. The major issues of the sancitiy of life and marriage seem to be completely pushed to the wayside by christians...God's very design for our life--that we are actually born-not murdered before our first breath...and that we are to procreate-by marriage-not homosexuality...to fill the earth..has been hugely over looked as side issues...or for so many not an issue at all any more. All the hope is placed on a better economy...better healthcare system..and on one man... Barak Obama.
I honestly don't think we know enough about this man's background. If even a fourth of the things I have heard alleged of him are true.....we are in for huge change alright....but one that I do not believe will be in the best interest for America. The damage that could be done will be irriversible.

I am shocked at the thoughts and views I have heard from many christians. I have never felt so alone in how I feel. Never felt like we are being so defeated and taken out one by one as believers....and never more responsible. Each day it is more and more obvious how the church has sat on the side lines...christians have sat out...I have sat out and just let someone else "take care of it" "stand up for it" "vote for it" "lead it'
How much longer will God's patience continue...before judgement comes. We seriously seem to think we can snub our noses to Him-since He doesn't exist... and turn our backs to happily chase after idol...after idol...after idol....putting our hope in anything but Him...thinking there will be no consequences....because we are American. Wow.

I started thinking about democracy today...and thought I had once heard something about it not lasting much more than 200 years based on history. I started to google democracy and came across this thought more than once...

Some have attributed this quote to Alexander Tyler:
"The average age of the world's greatest civilization has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence.
From bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance,
from abundance to selfishness;
from selfishness to complacency,
from complacency to apathy,
from apathy to dependency,
from dependence back into bondage

G. K. Chesterston:“I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on men unless they act.”

I see this happening.....men and women NOT acting...it just doesn't seem possible that we can keep going like this...we are very apathetic....crying out for someone to save us....we want someone to depend on...and Barak Obama seems just the man....only I pray we are not led back into a bondage...we are so full of ourselves and our greed I don't even think we would know what hit us till it was too late. The only hope in that.....we as a nation would be forced to cry out to the only living God that so many say doesn't exist...to save us....and He would be glorified once again as He deserves.

I pray that I am so wrong on all these thoughts...but my heart is so heavy and I can't shake it.

I know this should be a joyful time....to celebrate the victory of freedom and equality.....so many men and women of different nationalities have longed for a man of color...to be raised up...to be a strong and true leader. I myself have longed to see this day...but I wish it was a different man of color. Barak is persuasive....he is elegant...he is mysterious in many ways....he has stolen the hearts of the people. Even the comentators used the words..he is our hope.

Barak Obama is no more our hope than McCain would have been...or any other leader. Our only hope is Christ. Our only hope is to live out II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I don't know that we are a humble enough people to literally do this....I don't know that we have chosen a leader that truly fears the God of the Bible...who takes God's words seriously. I can only pray that he will acknowledge God...see his need for the one true and living God outside of himself....and I can only become more educated about the issues that will be at hand and be faithful to speak when given the opportunity instead of waiting another 4 years.

No comments: